Data Standards Panel
The Data Standards Panel support the Open Standards Board.
17th September 2013, to consider a number of ‘standards profiles’, including the metadata one ( above ). Those recomendations went forward to the Open Standards Board. The Open Standards Board approved two profiles for government adoption
- http://standards.data.gov.uk/challenge/cross-platform-character-encoding which adopts UTF-8 as the default for character encoding.
- http://standards.data.gov.uk/challenge/persistent-resolvable-identifiers which adopts HTTP 1.1 and URLs to provide URIs to name ‘things’, particularly as the foundation of Linked Data.
The Board considered that the the metadata standards profile should be reformed into at new challenges, inlcuding
- the requirements under public record legislation to be able to select and dispose of public records.
- a record of intellectual property ownership for the data in a container.
- federated management of vocabularies.
This group is due to meet on the 17th September to consider the first proposals that have come through the standards hub process.